It’s summer at Haven Home ClimateCare.
The kids are out of school and you’ve got a well-deserved vacation coming up.
Like many families in Kingston and surrounding areas, you might opt to remain local and enjoy a staycation.
If you’re planning to stay close to home this summer – but still want to escape – here are some of terrific day trips you can enjoy in and around the Kingston area.
Take a short drive to Fort Henry to discover what life was like in the 1800s, long before things like televisions and air conditioners.
Unlike other historical attractions, Fort Henry gets the whole family involved with activities like:
- Rifle firing: The weapon of choice at Fort Henry was the Snider Enfield Rifle. Train with a soldier before putting one in your hands, taking aim, and pulling the trigger.
- Victorian school: What was school like in 1867? Take a seat inside an authentic classroom from the era and get ready to learn from the schoolmaster or schoolmistress.
- Garrison parade: Thundering drums announce the start of garrison parade, where artillery weapons and infantry troops perform duties and maneuvers.
Before heading home for the night, make certain to catch the Sunset ceremony. Drummers, drill soldiers, and musicians demonstrate how the end of each military day was celebrated.
Just remember to bring good shoes, since there’s so much to see, do, and explore.
1000 Islands Helicopter Tour
If you’re looking for something more breathtaking, drive east towards Gananoque and see the 1000 Islands like never before.
As you take to the skies, your pilot will explain what you’re looking at and the history behind it.
There are multiple tours for you to choose from:
- 1000 Islands: According to Wikipedia, there are 1,864 islands in the area. And you’ll get a birds-eye view of them all.
- Boldt Castle: Located on Heart Island, Boldt Castle was the personal residence of George Boldt. It was originally intended as a gift to his wife, who died before it was completed.
- Seaway Tour: In addition to Boldt Castle, you’ll also fly above Singer Castle, the shipwrecks of the Pentland and F.A. Georger, the Sisters Lighthouse, and the 1000 Islands Parkway.
- Kingston Tour: Fly over the city of Kingston and all its notable landmarks. Who knows: You might even get to see your own house.
Can’t decide on a single helicopter tour? Get the ultimate tour and see it all.
Just remember to bring your camera.
Frontenac Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park gives you the best of both worlds: A natural getaway that’s close by.
It’s the perfect place to pack a picnic, spend a day, and enjoy fresh air quality surrounded by majestic trees, lakes, and waterways.
If hiking is your thing, Frontenac Provincial Park is full of trails to challenge hikers of all levels:
- Arab Lake Gorge Trail (1.5km).
- Doe Lake Trail (3km).
- Slide Lake Loop (21 km).
As well, part of the 387km Rideau Trail runs through the southern area of the park.
Now, if you’re looking to check out some wildlife, Frontenac Provincial Park is home to animals such as:
- Grey wolves.
- Black bears.
- Red foxes.
- White-tailed deer.
Just remember to bring your binoculars and not get too close.
If you don’t mind crossing the border, Watertown is a quaint little city (population 27,000) that’s just over an hour away.
Once you’re there, there’s plenty to check out:
- New York State Zoo at Thompson Park: This large zoo is the home of many animals native to New York State, such as bison, elk, lynx, bobcats, and more.
- Salmon Run Mall: Love to shop? Salmon Run Mall features many stores that are exclusive to the US, such as Dressbarn, JC Penney, and Justice.
- Fort Drum: Home to the 10th Mountain Division, you can check out historical monuments, military vehicles, and enjoy great dining too.
From nature to history, shopping to dining, there’s plenty to see and do in Fort Drum.
Just remember to bring your passport.
When you get home, stay cool and comfortable
The weather this summer is expected to be perfect for day tripping all over Kingston.
But when it’s time to come home, you want to set foot inside a reliable and efficient home cooling system.
Haven Home ClimateCare can help with:
- Air conditioner maintenance.
- Air conditioner repair.
- New air conditioner units.
- Affordable rebates and specials.
Contact us with any comments or questions you have. You can also schedule a service visit to ensure your AC is ready for summer.